Insight Tech Hub blog
Hack Manchester: 26-27 October 2019
We’re sponsoring Hack Manchester!
26 - 27 October
I’m Adam Houldsworth, one of the technical architects at Insight Investment.
I started at Insight, with three colleagues, in January. We were tasked with building the Manchester Tech Hub teams from scratch. Something we quickly realised is that not many people know who Insight is outside of London and specifically outside of investment circles.
We’ve opened a new office in Spinningfields, affectionately named the Manchester Tech Hub. It’s been designed entirely around crafting and delivering software, with open collaboration spaces, a multitude of whiteboards, and a town hall area for connecting back to the teams in London.
We all very quickly agreed that getting involved in the Manchester tech community was critical to 'getting our name out there'. Insight is well known for sponsoring some well-respected events, both big and small. Playing a more active role in the community sets the tone for what we want our engineering culture to be.
The tech community has many events: Agile Manchester, Hack Manchester, Manchester Digital, Women in Tech and lots of other great meetups around town. We’ve been hard pressed to decide where to start.
So we’ve begun by hosting a future meetup, Behind the Buzzword, and sponsoring a Hack Manchester challenge!
We wanted to introduce ourselves to the community and get involved in something that our developers enjoy being part of.
Our Hack Manchester challenge
The challenge we’ve set is obviously a little 'investment' oriented: can you predict markets from some strange dataset?
We’ll be asking people to:
- Find a unique data set (weather, Twitter, premiership goals scored by players with a surname starting with an “A”…) and find a correlation with some form of financial data set (a company’s stock price, FTSE 100 index, etc.).
- What events happened that made changes to the financial value? What things would cause us to invest or not? We’ll be giving bonus points for:
- a tech-driven or otherwise unique way of explaining the trends or what is about to happen (computer-generated, human-readable: “the weather is bad tomorrow so Google stock is going to decrease”), which we think should be fun
- predicting future trends
- If you had £1M and invested it over the last 12 months based on your decision engine, what would you have today?
- Again, there are bonus points for visualising the growth (or lack thereof) of your money pot
We’re offering the four team members who win our challenge an RPi4 Kit (4Gb) and gift card (total prize value £100 per person).*
This will be my first time at Hack Manchester and I’m looking forward to it. Along with some of my colleagues, I’ll be judging the solutions; and we’ve got a Manchester and London developer team taking part. We’ll also be offering some freebies for those that come to our stand.
Hope to see you there!
Terms and conditions *
All attendees are over 18. There is one prize to the total value of £100, as listed above, for each member of the team of four judged to have won the challenge. The prize is non-exchangeable, non-transferable and is not redeemable for cash.
The winning team is selected by the independent judge/s attending the Hack. The prize is awarded on the day and the judge’s decision is final. Any intellectual property generated at the Hack belongs to the attendees who created it.
This event is run by Hack Manchester, a not for profit event organising company. Hack Manchester C.I.C. is a limited company registered in England and Wales (registered number 08142874). Their registered office is 112 - 144 Witton Street, Northwich, Cheshire, CW9 5NW, United Kingdom.
To find out more about how to take part in the Hack please click here for details.
These terms and conditions are governed by English law and any disputes arising in connection with them are subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.